You know first-hand that the threats of bullying, underage drinking and drug abuse continue to affect kids at alarming rates and those affected by these issues are distracted from their education. Here are some current statistics:
- 1 in 4 high school students in Connecticut reported being bullied in the past year.
- 1 of every 6 had been bullied through e-mail, chat rooms, instant messaging, Web sites, or texting in the past year.
- Nationwide, 17 percent of all students reported having been bullied “sometimes” or more often. This amounts to 1 in 5 students.
- 40% of Connecticut high schoolers drink heavily.
- 25% of Connecticut high schoolers report using marijuana.
- 60% of teens who abuse prescription pain killers did so before of 15.
Whether you are a teacher, principal, superintendent, school climate specialist or counselor, you can make an important difference in the life of a child by finding out more about: