Training - Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring™ Standard 2: Screening
Careful screening improves the quality of your mentors and helps to ensure the safety of youth involved in your program, while minimizing the level of risk and liability. This training will detail effective practices for screening potential mentors, including interview techniques and background checks.
Participants will be able to:
1. Identify best practices for the screening of mentors
2. Identify and compare appropriate mentor screening tools and resources
3. Identify the key components of a comprehensive criminal background check process
• Benchmarks and enhancements for mentor screening
• Elements of the screening process
• Screening out mentors, using informed intuition, and how to say ‘no’
Target Audience: School, business, community and faith-based mentoring staff members who are responsible for operating mentor programs and/or training mentors.