September is National Attendance Awareness Month
The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE), in partnership with Attendance Works and The Governor’s Prevention Partnership, have developed Connecticut’s Attendance Awareness Campaign, Attend Today, Achieve Tomorrow. With one voice, Connecticut can improve the attendance of our students, beginning in September and continuing through the final day of school. This campaign is kicked-off in September as part of the nationally recognized Attendance Awareness Month. However, it is a message that should be repeated throughout the entire school year.
Improving attendance and reducing chronic absenteeism takes commitment, collaboration, and tailored approaches to the challenges and strengths of each school community. Schools, communities, and advocates across Connecticut are taking steps to ensure children are attending school more regularly.
This toolkit is designed to help you plan your involvement and enlist stakeholders who can help get the message out. Attendance Works offers a variety of options for promoting good attendance. No school, community or organization should feel that it needs to accomplish all of them. Instead, choose which options work best for you and build the support you need to do more in the following year.
Social Media Tools
Download CT-branded graphics and messages to share on your social media pages. You can "right click" the image to save as a JPEG.
Here are some messages you can use:
- We’re getting ready for Attendance Awareness Month. How about you? [link website] #attendtodayCT
- Attendance Awareness Month comes in September. Planning starts now: [link website] #attendtodayCT
- We’re building good attendance habits in our schools. How about you? [link website] #attendtodayCT
- Quality mentoring can be leveraged as a strategy to improve attendance & academic achievement #attendtodayCT
- Students who meet with a #mentor regularly make better choices in school & life #attendtodayCT
- A quality #mentoring program strengthens school-wide strategies to boost attendance in #attendtodayCT Be a mentor!
- Students who meet regularly with their mentors are 37% less likely than their peers to skip a class #attendtodayCT
- Chronic absence affects all kids, not just the absent ones. Learn how to get kids to #attendtodayCT here [add attendtodayct.com link]
- Let’s help students build a habit of good attendance early & often: #attendtodayCT
Use an Image to enhance your message
Right Click on the image of your choice and save it to your computer. You can use these images as Facebook and Twitter posts. Combine them with other text to create your own unique message, or use one of the messages above.